[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 00:32:54 PDT 2015

Beth in your question:
 "how to study the object which is the unity of the experience?

Is it possible that to study the "object" (which is the unity) is another category error. In other words the unity (as integral) is PRIOR to the "object OF" and also prior to the "subject OF" "an" experience

The "recognizing" objects (as Dewey contrasts with  the concept "perceiving" is not "an" experience.

"an" experience has a particular quality of    "having" an experience which is not POSSESSIVE.  Having an experience is "undergoing" an experience.
I am proposing that these contrasting concepts of "having" (possessing and undergoing) are subtle shifts (slants) that Dewey is bringing to the "fore".

Andy says Dewey uses "beautiful" scientific language to explore this phenomena.  Beautiful as receptively "taking in" dewey's meaning. THIS beauty "hinges" on "an" experience being an experience of undergoing or grasping or taking in "an" experience (as a unity of being completed through becoming completed. Being is the completed form that exists (is completed) prior to subjects  and objects forming  and prior to emotion and intellect forming and prior to intuition and reflection forming  their multimodal qualities.   Qualities of these various multimodal "aspects" of the unity of "having" "an" experience.  These aspects are various ways //about// reflecting and RE-presenting "an" already completed and existing experience after first undergoing the experience.
 As Andy emphasizes the unity  is prior to distinguishing the multiple modes that can then be recognized.  The unity of "an" experience when undergone is "perceived" not "recognized" (as Dewey meant this contrast in terms.

Therefore is place-making contrasted with place-undergoing??

In Buddhism is undergoing the key phenomena of unity as "dependent arising"?

Yes beautiful and a particular phenomenal/imaginal slant "/"
Poetic

-----Original Message-----
From: "Beth Ferholt" <bferholt@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2015-‎07-‎16 11:15 PM
To: "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

But when we reflect on some things it is hard to do so without loosing the
whole entirely in the process of reflection.

Jay said in a chain recently, in response to a related question, something
about having an artist on every research team.  I have been thinking about
this.  If the "artist, in comparison with his fellows, is one who is not
only especially gifted in powers of execution but in unusual sensitivity to
the qualities of things" then  this is who we need to tell us which
property is the one that can characterize the experience as a whole.

No?  Am I missing something in what you just wrote?  The unity is prior but
how to study the object if this unity is its essence? -- sort of like the
empty space in the bowl being the bowl, so when you study the bowl itself
then you miss the whole point.

I am thinking of these two quotes, although maybe I am conflating things?:

"Its nature and import can be expressed only by art, because there is a
unity of experience that can be expressed only as an experience." and

“Few understand why it is imperative not only to have the effect of art
take shape and excite the reader or spectator but also to explain art, *and
to explain it in such a way that the explanation does not kill the emotion*.”
-- p. 254, Vygotsky (1971)

I am really meaning this question in a very practical way, thinking of how
I am always speaking to preschool teachers who describe their students and
the activities with these students with such art, and how I am getting
better at creating classroom spaces that support this description -- but am
still not clear about how to consistently create spaces in my papers for
similar forms of representation and reflection.

This question also comes from reading the Alfredo and Rolf paper, and
thinking about Leigh Star's work.

Beth