[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Jul 16 22:45:31 PDT 2015

No, no, Beth. As Dewey says:

    "This unity is neither emotional, practical, nor
    intellectual, for these terms name distinctions that
    reflection can make within it. In discourse//about//an
    experience, we must make use of these adjectives of
    interpretation. In going over an experience in
    mind//after/ /its occurrence, we may find that one
    property rather than another was sufficiently dominant
    so that it characterizes the experience as a whole."

Isn't this beautiful scientific prose! We make these
distinction when we *reflect* on an experience. And perhaps
we include the experience in our autobiography, act it out
on the stage, analyse it scientifically, all of which
presupposes analysis and synthesis. But it is important to
recognise that the unity is prior. It is not only a unity of
emotion and cognition (for example) but also of attention
and will - and any other categories you abstract from an
experience.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/