[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Jul 16 08:19:14 PDT 2015

Hi Larry and all,

I think this is one of the most complex aspects of experience, what does he mean when he says you can't do things indiscriminately and have vital experience, but you also can't plan things?  I have discussed (argued) about this a lot with my students.  I have especially seen him raise this point in at least two of his great works, Democracy and Education and Experience and Nature - and again of course in Art as Experience (notice he is not saying how Art enters into experience but how art is experience - I have come to notice these little things more and more in his writing).

The difficulty we have, at least in the United States because of the dominance of the idea of meta-cognition, is that we too often translate what individuals are bringing in to experience to organize it as a form of meta-cognition.  It is kind of possible to make that interpretation from Democracy and Education, although what I think he is doing more is arguing against misinterpretations of his work as random, child centered activities.  I think he is clearer in Experience and Nature that we bring in who we are at the moment into the activity, and use who we are (I don't want to say identity) as an organizing principle for what we do.  It is perhaps one of the places where Dewey and Vygotsky are close.  Perhaps I can use the same Jackson Pollock example.  The first few times I saw his paintings I was trying to "apprecitate" them because I was told that was the best way to experience them.  Dewey says no vital experience there because my activities become stilted and artificial.  Sometimes I went through the museum and just looked at pictures, one to the other.  No vital experience there, just random threads.  But that time I had the experience with the paintings I was allowing who I was, what had been built up in the trajectory of my life to enter into my experience with the painting, making it a vital experience.  I think Dewey makes the argument in Experience and Nature that it is not just the experience the moment before, but the experiences leading to that experience, the context of my life, of my parent's life, of a long line of historical experiences.

Anyway, my take.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Lplarry
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:51 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Greg, Alfredo,

Yes mike's article on minding the gap also offers profound clues to this aspect of experience. The exploration of the gap weaves through multimodal themes and focuses at the micro level of "seeing" the gap.

What I appreciated in Dewey's notion of an experience is the way of framing will/doing that is out of balance  actually dissipates an experience.  Too much doing becomes dis-ordered will.
Too much receptivity leads also to loss of an experience.

Dewey describes this process of living through experience as "like" breathing.

Breath as metaphor has a very extensive history.

Yes this challenges classical notions of "transfer" of knowledge but opens a space for cultivating dispositions of actively "taking in" as actively receptive.

Creating an experience as animated and vital and lived through. As Dewey says more than just analyzing transactional relationships.  Place-making as actually developing an experience. Only afterwards when reflected on can we characterize the experience as emotional, or intellectual,  depending on which characteristic is dominant in our reflection retrospectively.
 In actual fact the experience as lived through is not the experience reflected upon. This seems to be a key distinction.
 The dominant characteristic in reflection comes to be identified as "the" characteristic of the experience when in actual fact it is merely an aspect of the unity of the experience. Lived through experience and reflective considerations of this lived through experience feature different characteristics.
Dewey believed at the end he could not overcome the misunderstanding of what he meant by using the term "experience"
The work on place-making is another opportunity to understand experience as lived through INCLUDING both doing and receptivity.