[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:12:34 PDT 2015

Alfredo,
Here is another Wikipedia link to "ma" [as space]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_(negative_space)

An article by Sheila Ross "The Temporality of Tarrying in Gadamer"  in the
journal *Theory, Culture, & Society*, 2006, Volume 23 (1): Pages 104-123 is
where I encountered this idea.

I am personally linking Dewey, Gadamer, and the concept of "ma".  I will
point out that Gadamer's focus on tarrying is to  focus an experience of
the "subject matter" through living conversations.  My readings on this
topic are idiosyncratic but I personally sense/perceive a shared
sensibility and "disposition" in these notions of "agentic" receptivity and
undergoing phenomena.  [which is not passive]
I also believe this disposition to perceive the "pregnant pause" in ongoing
activity can be "cultivated/grown".

Thanks for inviting me to think out loud with you.
Larry

Your article is moving deeper into the multimodal with bodily gesture but I
believe my comments add to the complexity of the "aspects" you are
exploring as place-making/meaning.