[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Wed Jul 15 16:29:30 PDT 2015

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. I see now why it may be said that designers can aim at designing for constrains but not for affordances. I see that this way of talking is part of a designers' way to get things done, and that it may indeed be an effective way to design for place-making, as in the example that Michael gives of MOMA. Indeed, much of what we report in our study is about designers talking about how spatial features might afford some experiences in the museum while constraining others.

I must admit, however, that I still consider the distinction problematic from an analytical perspective whenever our object of study is experience, situated action, or design as situated practice. A more correct way to talk is that affordances and constrains are the positive and negative sides/interpretations of a single unitary category. As an actual and concrete phenomenon, walking into a musuem implies both affordances and constrains at the same time, whether intended or not. Which makes me wonder whether other terminology, such as Ingold's notion of "correspondence," might be more appropriated when we talk about how materials and actions become entangled into particular trajectories.

In any case, and as Rolf emphasizes, what the designers in our study indeed do is to IMAGINE ways of being in the museum. Imagination versus prediction may be an interesting topic emerging here for further inquiry into design work.

Another important (and related) issue that I think is emerging here has to do with the level of generality at which design intentions can be expected to work (just as Bateson argued with regard to prediction). At the level of generic social processes, and given a particular cultural-historical background, we as designers may try to make some generic situations more likely to occur than others (facilitating that more or less people end up together in a given place). However, we cannot aim at determining any particular situation/experience. The same may be said about EDUCATION. We cannot intend to communicate the curriculum and make it the content of the students' experience in the way we intend. But we can try to create the conditions for certain attitudes and dispositions to emerge.

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces+a.g.jornet=iped.uio.no@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces+a.g.jornet=iped.uio.no@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Glassman, Michael <glassman.13@osu.edu>
Sent: 15 July 2015 23:30
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Hi Alfredo,

I think Rolf may have addressed the question of the differences between affordances and constraints in his post.  The way he described the designers as possibly setting up the corner with Pollock at MOMA.  It was a long time ago so I'm not sure if this is the way it was or the way I remember it, but let's just believe this is the way it was.  The painting, I think there were three were set up in a corner off a main corridor.  The lighting was dark, which if you have ever been to MOMA is different, in many other parts of the museum there is a good deal of natural light (there was this great fountain, I wonder if it is still there).  The paintings were on tripods rather than hung on the walls and they were surrounded on three sides by walls.  All of these I think would be considered restraints - pushing me in to the works rather than stepping back away.  It was impossible for more than two or three people to view the paintings at one time and movement was limited, so there were fewer chances for social interactions (you were not going to pick up anybody looking at Jackson Pollock).  The atmosphere was brooding, making it more likely that viewers would move towards internal reflection.  All of these were constraints that canalized perspectives and feelings viewing the paintings.  You really had only two choices, you moved in to the paintings or you moved on, which I had done every previous time coming upon them.

The painting itself though became an affordances, an object at the nexus of my journey through the museum, where I was in my life, and my abilities to perceive the painitings.  This was something that could not be designed I think because nobody could think that moment was going to happen.   So then what is a perceived affordance.  Way back when there was also a Manet room.  It was a round room with different variations of his water lilies in a circle.  Almost the exact opposite in constraints it was large, airy, a lot of natural light.  If you were looking to brood you went somewhere else.  In the middle of the room was a wooden structure (not an obvious bench), but you realized as random colors dissolved into water lilies that you wanted to sit down.  You naturally moved to the center of the room and sat (wondering if a guard would come and tell you it was actually an important piece of art and you should get off).  The designer anticipates a desire to soak in the room, to almost get dizzy in the lights, and included in the design the piece of wood that will have the perceived affordance for sitting, changing your concept of time and space.

Michael