[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:24:55 PDT 2015

Alfredo and Rolf,

This theme of spaces and places and what is formed performed and preformed
is a topic that does open up a space for reflection.
I will focus on the comment Alfredo offered in his introduction when he
wrote:
In this paper the aim was to consider boundary objects from the perspective
of the participants "bodies" which stood out in our analysis as
particularly relevant [and revealing] for the achievement of cooperation
despite lack OF "substantive agreement".

I read "substantive agreement" as referring to a shared "subject matter"
The ability to "inhabit" a space and constitute a "place" without agreement
on the subject matter at hand.  A different way of "inhabiting this space
to form a sense of place.
Is this the same type of process that Mead was referring to when he
described how we navigate through a crowd with a way of "knowing" that is
more performance than substantive. This bodily way of "knowing" [tacit or
implicit knowing that is "not yet" conscious" as PRIOR to coming to know in
a more "substantive" way of understanding the "subject matter at hand".
In fact could the focus on trying to come to an agreement on the "subject
matter" before "inhabiting" the space becoming "place" be counter
productive??.

What about the wall that was "banal" [and possibly therefore more neutral
uninhabited "ground"] allowing a "space" to open in which the participants
could arrive at a shared place PRIOR to finding subject matter agreement. A
"bodily" and "phenomenological" entering and inhabiting a space BECOMING
place. This type of bodily "knowing" and its relation to the "subject
matter" at hand seems to open a space/place for a lively conversation.

What is forming is an image of the "table" as a metaphor. We gather to
share a meal and wine prior to focusing on the subject matter at hand. The
table invites us to share a space becoming place around the meal.  Is this
"table" banal or significant in arriving at a shared place?