[Xmca-l] Re: G. H. Mead and Harvey Sacks

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:05:04 PDT 2015

Mike,

Thanks for the Dilthey and Mead connection.

Funny, I went to google it but accidentally typed in "Dilthey and Dewey"
and was surprised to find one of the first hits was "The Anthropology of
Experience" - a summary of a book by Victor Turner and F. Bruner, and it
also happens to be the name of a class that I'm teaching this fall (I
discovered this book shortly after I had decided on the title of the class
- or so I thought).

Anyway, when I finally corrected my search and searched for "Dilthey and
Mead", at the bottom of the page I found a like to an XMCA post in 2013 by
one Greg Thompson, asking about links from Vygotsky to Dilthey (for those
interested in that thread, here it is:
http://xmca.ucsd.edu/yarns/14853?keywords=) (oh, and btw, kudos to those
managing the listserve - it is much easier to read through entire threads
than it used to be - very cool!).

Michael notes in his post in that thread that it was William James who
suggested that Mead go to study with Dilthey, but Michael notes that he
(Mead?) never got his PhD while there. I also came across another piece
that said that Mead took a couple classes from Dilthey but never
acknowledged Dilthey in any of his work. Maybe just forgot about him.

Speaking of forgetting, to my surprise, there in my post from two years ago
I found the title of the book after which I recently unwittingly had named
my class - the Anthropology of Experience. Is it just me or is forgetting
an important part of academic work?

As Michael Glassman noted in his comment - very incestuous group of ideas
here.

-greg