[Xmca-l] Re: G. H. Mead and Harvey Sacks

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:24:37 PDT 2015

I followed Ellen’s suggestion, went to the Mead Project, found Prefactory Remarks to Mead’s “The Philosophy of the Present” and found this:

"As I look back I can see that a great deal of the seeming obscurity of Mr. Mead's expression was due to the fact that he saw something as a problem which had not presented itself at all to the other minds. There was no common language because there was no common object of reference. His problem did not fall into the categories and classifications of either idealism or realism. He was talking about something which the rest of us did not see.”

Compare that to the “saying” that always appears at the end of Mike Cole’s posts:

All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes
you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something
that isn't even visible. N. McLean, "A River Runs Through it”

Interesting.

Henry