[Xmca-l] Re: BBC: Mind Changers

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:08:56 PDT 2015

David,

I would love to see the experiment replicated in Korea, except the two
groups would be:
1. One group is assigned a plant and told that this was the plant that
their family had chosen specifically for them.
2. The other group is told that they can choose a plant.

My guess is that the 1's would live longer.

The North Korean variation looks like this:
1. One group is assigned a plant and told that this was the plant that the
Great Leader chose specifically for them.
2. The other group is told that they can choose a plant.

This one is a little more interesting in terms of the implications that it
has, but I'm guessing that the 1's would again live longer.

The second experiment may be taking things a little too far, but my point
is simply that this is also entirely ideological in the sense of cultural
ideology. Whereas the lament late in the life course in the U.S. is a lack
of autonomy, I suspect that the lament late in the life course in Korea is
the lack of connectedness (my Korean in-laws think that sending old folks
to old folks homes is tantamount to elderly abuse). The result is, I
suspect, that the findings would be turned on their head.

Anyone out there wanna give my little experiment a go?
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor