[Xmca-l] Re: The Russian Spinozists

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:58:43 PDT 2015

Annalisa,

I am trying to become clearer on the way Jan Derry is drawing a contrast
between what she labels the "conventional representationalist
epistemological paradigm " AND the contrasting paradigm emerging from
Hegel, Marx, and Vygotsky. Derry's target is to critique what she calls the
contemporary "post-Vygotskian" readings of Vygotsky that do not enter the
"space of reasons" within which Vygotsky operated and got his bearings. Her
intent is to make explicit what is usually taken-for-granted and invisible
background.

David Kellogg on the other thread mentioned grammatical metaphor and I am
pointing to one example of reading "of" as metaphor. This way of reading
the term "of"  translated as "upon which" to try to understand Jan Derry. I
want to mention that Jan Derry and Martin Packer both are critiquing
Wertsch's post-Vygotskian constructivist paradigm.

On page 32 of her book Derry tries to make clear the distinction withinin
the two dominant ways of "reading" Vygotsky and suggests the
post-Vygotskian turn towards construction as a metaphor is actually a
mis-reading of where Vygotsky was trying to lead us.  Derry is making a
case that the philosophical ground that be/comes background [and therefore
invisible and taken-for-granted] IS significant for reading Vygotsky and
blindness to the clear differences of these alternative traditions OF
"knowing" has significant consequences for understanding learning as
bildung.  I am aware of the baggage and shadow side generated by
the concept "bildung" but wonder if it still has a place in our reflections
exploring plural traditions?

Derry's project is to help the reader become clear on the tradition of much
contemporary post-Vygotskian re-search. This tradition operates within the
"representational paradigm" [as Brandom uses this concept] Derry uses this
concept to show that post-vygotskian studies [contemporary studies]
"INHABIT" this representational paradigm. This inhabitation has profound
consequences for how we understand the underlying issues of freedom and
agency.

Derry says to take the idea "of" [a paradigm of representation] to frame an
argument about HOW sociogenetic explanations might develop is not a
straightforward matter. It requires detours. Derry acknowledges that most
post-Vygotskian studies do reject the correspondence theory of truth [the
mirror theory of truth that representations reflect the real world] BUT
Derry also makes the case that the representational paradigm continues to
remain dualistic [separating mind and world] THIS implicit dualism is the
target of Derry's critique.

The most salient feature of the "representational paradigm" is its
referring TO a particular epistemological position involving
taken-for-granted invisible assumptions about the human condition AND the
relation OF [mind and world]. This paradigm FOREcloses certain
possibilities [the "as if" realm] and that when incorporated without a
consideration of philosophical PREsuppositions the GROUNDS for the
FOREclosure recede into the background and what is "seen" be/comes
self-evident.
In Derry's own words, "The representationalist paradigm presents the
relation OF mind to world as one in which knowledge is caused by SENSE
experience is made meaningful by the constructions that are put UPON it.
[the sense experience]. The mind is understood to create meaning in a
disenchanted world OF brute nature or in circumstances where whatever
'reality' there might be is unknowable. Sellars called this
representational paradigm "The Myth of the Given" in which experience is
understood as something which cannot be a tribunal AND YET must also
somehow stand in judgement over our thinking.  This idea, at the HEART OF
the representational paradigm OF the world as independent of mind and made
meaningful BY the constructions PLACED ON the world by mind is made
EXPLICIT by Hegel to show what we take to be the means by which we acquire
our knowledge - the UNDERSTANDING - falls far short of explaining HOW
knowledge actually arises. [is dis-closed and fore-closed]. Although it may
be thought that an epistemology simply describes HOW knowledge arises, much
more is in fact involved. This becomes CLEAR once we make EXPLICIT the
additional weight of what has to be carried by the very DELIMITATIONS that
we assume IN ORDER TO explain how knowledge is possible."

Annalisa, Jan Derry here makes clear her intent to
differentiate alternative readings of Vygotsky and contemporary
post-Vygotskian paradigms whichare operating within contrasting
paradigms/traditions. Operating within different "spaces of reason". It is
not simply a matter of "translation" between concepts. It is actually
different "language games" developing different plural phenomenology. As
Martin says construction is not merely epistemological but actually
ontological changing the kinds of persons we "are".

I personally take from Derry's presentation a sensitivity to different ways
OF "reading".
I also "read" Martin Packer's exploring "artifacts" not as substances or
merely objects but as processes arising [dis-closing] within ontological
constructions OF knowing AND knower as exploring the plural nature of
traditions AS facts. The "as if" realm of possibilities WITHIN traditions.

Larry