[Xmca-l] Re: The Russian Spinozists

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 06:48:02 PDT 2015

Annalisa, Henry,

I am interested in what Jan Derry calls a "stream" or "line" or "tradition"
leading through Spinoza, towards Hegel, then Marx, Vygotsky, McDowell,
Brandom, and Bakhurst.
The tension between "construction" as creative free will in contrast to
"will" as a development of "self-determination" [the concept of development
in this lineage as a "system" within a "space of reasons".

The concept "will" for Leslie Farber is a very general term which can be
used as a synonym for:
"decision, choice, intention, passion, spirit, determination, control, or
volition." Leslie's general use of the term "will" can include all these
synonyms as the category through which we examine that aspect of our life
which is the MOVER OF our life. That aspect UPON WHICH we are moved.
The construction metaphor may be focussed more on the theme of moving "for"
[the "in order to" realm].

The notion of "prime" mover as "construction" Derry says is a misguided
reading "of" [upon which] Vygotsky through the stream "of" representative
thinking as "abstract" reasoning.  Derry's book is an attempt to make
explicit how she "reads" this version of neo-Vygotskian research as a
misconstrual.  Derry is making a case that locating Vygotsky as a
constructive philosopher is mis-representing him as a representational
thinker caught in the construction metaphor. Derry argues that to
understand Vygotsky we must return him to the Spinozian/Hegelian/
Marxist/Bakhurst stream of thought that sees the "prime mover" as
"self-determination which develops through "bildung" within a "space of
reasons".

Annalisa, Henry, [and others] who are not clear on the EXPLICIT contrasts
OF :

1]"abstract representational systems of thought as construction
 AND
2] the Spinoza/Hegel version that focuses a notion of "prime mover" [will]
as developing within a "space of reasons" through a process of
learning/bildung

Derry "reads" Wertsch and Lave as working within the construction
representational paradigm
and in her critique she opens a space OF [upon which] conversation which
can facilitate becoming clear and explicit on the contrasting paradigms of
[1] and [2] above.

I hope I have done justice to my "reading" of Derry on this theme.  For
Spinoza "will" develops THROUGH acquiring "self-determination" which in
contemporary language [Brandom, Bakhurst] develops WITHIN a "space of
reasons" which is NOT ABSTRACT reason. It is also NOT construction but
exists within a "system" OF [upon which] reasons that GENERATE inferences.
Self-determination is the result of this development.

What is "developing" within a ZPD?  Is what is developing a generative act
as  creative "free will" or is a  "system" developing  as a space of
reasons which generates self-determination.
Derry's project is to make this question more explicit.

Larry

.