[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky and adult literacy program in haiti.

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Fri Jul 3 12:06:02 PDT 2015

Henry,

Yes... yes... yes...the majority of the so-called elite speak a bastardized version of french, which is unrecognizable in Paris.  So in the capital what you find is a kreyol that is phonetically and intonationally french.  I have requested, from dr. Serge Madhere, an english version of his paper on teaching kreyol within a vygotskyian framework.  He does a masterful job highlighting your point.  By the way, i find myself having great difficulties understanding malian and ivorian french when i travel to the continent.  Albeit when i am in african villages in places like togo my kreyol enables me to understand the villagers.

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
President
The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
www.mocombeian.com
www.readingroomcurriculum.com
www.paulcmocombe.info

Race and Class Distinctions within Black Communities
www.routledge.com/9780415714372

-------- Original message --------
From: HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Date: 07/03/2015  2:03 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky and adult literacy program in haiti.

Paul,
My ear isn’t that good in French as I wish it was, but tell me if this makes sense of the links to Haitian TV you sent us:

Along the continuum of Standard French to Kreyol, the most standard, Parisian French is from the news anchor, even more “perfect” than the French representative to the conference being covered. Then, going more and more “native”: The prime minister, then the minister of public health. What I took to be Kreyol (though I am not absolutely sure) was interesting in that the phonetic and intonational “flavor" was more French than the prime minister and health minister. The details on the “flavor” would be based on a robust theory of grammar, as per Ruqaiya.

The advertisement for Limacol, apparently a sort of listerine for the skin, was so much like a commercial in the U.S. And the skins were very light.  Certainly there would be correlations between how such commercials use content and frame that content. Would this be an aspect of “orientation” that David discusses. I’m sorry to be obsessed about grammar, but it’s what I know, if I know anything.

Henry