[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:56:51 PST 2015

Mike,
Kobito theory is an *amazing* imagination based theory. The Japanese
infused "sense" of inner form as deeply,* deeply *participatory.  The way
of projecting and becoming the presence of the object. I noticed that the
earlier discussion on the list with Jessica Benjamin's notion of
"surrender" to a third space could be linked to Kobito theory and Noddings
sense of "caring for" as surrender [not submission].

However, Sayeki's  introduction where he guides us through the process
of entering the inner form of the "teacup" and come to "feel" through
attunement the history and origin of the teacup as an imaginal enactment is
moving "beyond" our Western notions of objects. He is saying "We become the
object and feel what the object feels.

Thank you for the Cambridge book on Vygotsky. I would recommend others
reading Vladimir Zinchenko's chapter 9 in conjunction with Sayeki's kobito
theory and try to "feel" the intonation and rhythm of this Japanese way of
understanding inner form.
I think Zinchenko would agree with Kobito theory as his chapter is also
exploring the inner form of objects.

Peg, thank you for these abstracts.
The question of "ethics" as enacting particular "values" and how we "ought"
to act is highlighted in Kobito's ethic of care of all existence through
imaginal participation. I would suggest that "third spaces" as ethical
imaginal "spaces" [zones] share this ethic of "caring for".

The notion of "hybrid" spaces as inclusive imaginal places becoming forms
and becoming actualized  [ subjective, intersubjective objective is
embodied in the story of the shrine-carpenter who imagines each tree
continuing to "live" in the wooden shrine that has existed for a 1000
years. There is a deep wisdom/knowledge in caring for that in the act
transforms the person who "surrenders" to the inner form and its geneology.

Larry