[Xmca-l] Re: Notes on Blindness

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:47:43 PST 2015

Greg,
Memory as requiring the process of reduction of the manifold of experience
does seem to an interesting question which may offer a possibility for
further expansion. I mean this metaphorically as a reciprocal "dance" of
reduction and expansion.

The "reciprocal" awareness that possibly not only memories but also our
theories and our conceptions may be relying too much on the processes of
memory [after the fact] and therefore loosing sight of the multi-modality
of experience as it unfolds.
Greg as you point "out" - to be seen is to be made (cf. Bakhtin's notion
of "consummation").
Your insight where you say that filling the whole of the audible
environment is an experience of beauty, which has something to do with the
complexity of the image  in  motion, alive, moving, unfixed, with shades
and textures constantly
changing.
Instead of being isolated, cut off, preoccupied, internally, you are
presented with a world. You are related to a world. You are addressed by a
world.
Robert Nichols in exploring the meaning of freedom and recognition  says,
"To stand in a 'free' relation to the world, to oneself and one's ethical
commitments, is to know that one's standpoint does not exhaust the total
range of meaningful, viable, and worthwhile possibilities."  For Robert
beauty as 'being-in-the-world' depends on the "extent" to which we actually
"embody" the world through receptivity, fragility, indeterminacy, and
interconnectivity. [similar sentiments to the notion of "surrender" or
"acceptance" as an ethical commitment]
Robert Nichols perceives an ethical commitment that emerges within an
awareness of how one cares for the world and how one has an "attachment" to
existence.

Greg, is it possible that memory, and theory "about" how one re-members and
re-cognizes and re-presents and re-duces and then articulates the world as
the "truth"  contributes to being isolated, cut off, preoccupied.  The
world foreclosed.

Requiring that "we" once again  turn [or re-turn] to being within the world
as situated presence. The musical resonance of "attunement" within the
world prior to re-collecting and re-ducing the world through memory which
highlights the salient features.