[Xmca-l] Re: RES: Re: Thirdness and its various versions

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:02:15 PST 2015

Annalisa,
I would answer that this way of perceiving develops within a
particular cultural historical tradition. Jessica is perceiving within a
"space of questions and answers" where perceiving is always mediated.
Jessica, along with others who have made a "turn" in psychoanalysis from
"drives" to "situated contexts" are deeply reflecting within a particular
philosophical tradition of human nature and social being/becoming.
In particular Jessica engages with Hegel's legacy from within
feminist explorations of the historical processes of patriarchy.

Her way of perceiving emerges within dialogue with Hegel, Habermas, Adorno,
Horkheimer. In this sense it is a Eurocentric way of perceiving in the
spirit of the Frankfurt School.

The other key tradition that facilitates this way of perceiving is
Winnicott, Daniel Stern, Trevarthen, Fonagy, who are exploring ways to
understand affect regulation from the perspective of baby watching.
She brings this historical and psychoanalytic perspective into dialogue
with feminism and notions of patriarchy.
I,, when reading her work,  inevitably am putting my slant on her writings
as I explore "self-regulation", "co-regulation" and "other regulation" [the
institutional] .  Working in elementary schools as a counsellor I was
always questioning ways to understand "affect regulation"

Annalisa,
 Jessica Benjamin wrote a book "The Bonds of Love" 25 years ago which has
transformed many dialogues within Feminist traditions and psychoanalytic
traditions.
Hers is a theory of internalization of "self-regulation" so I consider it
can be put into play with Vygotsky and Bahktin as a particular historically
constituted "project" within a particular cultural historical formation.

In her field she is a respected scholar and practitioner and her way of
perceiving is facilitating a discourse which is generating creative
understandings of domination and liberation and transformation.