[Xmca-l] RES: Re: Thirdness and its various versions

Maria Judith Sucupira da Costa Lins mariasucupiralins@terra.com.br
Tue Jan 20 05:08:33 PST 2015

Submission is presente also in true love.
maria

-----Mensagem original-----
De: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] Em nome de HENRY SHONERD
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 19 de janeiro de 2015 22:39
Para: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Assunto: [Xmca-l] Re: Thirdness and its various versions

Larry,
Do you think it’s sad-masochistic of me to suggest that we give submission a chance? Unanalyzed, “submission”, not even a suggestion of  a hyphen, as a juicy chunk, I think of Islam, or what I know of it through a hodge podge of media and friendships. But break it down, without even going to the dictionary, “sub-mission” has the ring of commitment to a project. As a legal term, my dictionary has “submission” as “an agreement between parties involved in a dispute”. Here’s more from the semantic cluster: A synonym for “submission” is “yield”, from the Middle English. It’s worth mashing up latinate and germanic etymology and morphology to set up mnemonics for the discourse. So, when, if ever, is it good to “submit”, “give in”? I submit to the good will of la gente of this chat. There’s gotta be respect and trust. Among other things, that means it has to be voluntary and de buena voluntad. And transparent? Let me suggest a prototypical narr  ative of submission: Motherhood. Giving birth and all of that jazz. Creativity with a capital “C”. Here’s another: death. Everything in between is up for grabs I guess. Probably lots of diversity as they say in the game. Please, chatters, don’t feel the need to respond. I’ll take silence as good sign. Like, you’re listening politely.
Submissively
Henry

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 8:22 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Rod,
> In the spirit of your caution and acknowledging its truth value, I
> want to say I was hesitant to use the term "surrender" for how it
> would be misunderstood.  In a similar way to the misunderstandings of
> the term "mind".
>
> I will mention that Jessica is consciously using the word "surrender"
> as NOT "submission" as she tries to articulate a nypothesis that sees
> through "domination" and the struggle to the death of complimentary "recognition"
> I fully expect Jessica's work to instigate passionate responses.
> Her work does develop from Habermas, Adorno, Horkheimer, Fromm and the
> Frankfurt school.
> Jessica says we have conflated "surrender" with "submission" and
> Jessica's use of the term "surrender" must be seen as being engaged in
> exploring [and putting in play] notions of instrumental internalized
> "self-regulation" AND notions of the "third space" as coming into
> being through "surrender" to a place of potentiality and possibility that is moving "beyond"
> self-assertion as a complimentary struggle to the death.
>
> Rod, the play of "active" and "receptive" thirds [in contrast to
> active and passive twoness] is the place which Jessica is inviting us to occupy.
>
> Notions of "surrender" carry huge baggage and and will invite palpable
> rejection as concepts. This is a fact. It is challenging particular
> notions of "subjective" and "intersubjective"
> However, if we begin within a dialogical awareness and acknowledge
> that using a term such as "surrender"  will be read by most and
> rejected  as implying "submission" and "domination" and "passivity"
> and "loosing the self", then the process that you and I are engaged in
> at this moment is the hermeneutical enactment of differentiating and
> "marking" the distinctions the distinctions between "surrender" and
> "submission" Jessica is asking us to pause and be reflective and consider this distinction.
>
> Rod, Jessica is working within a "tradition" [the Frankfurt School
> where she is in dialogue with Hegel, Habermas, Adorno, Horkheimer. Her
> project is to "see through" the patterns of complimentary "twoness"
> [doer and done to giver and given to]. The term "surrender" is being
> used within this tradition.
>
> This term "surrender" [as exemplified in Stephen Mitchell's story of
> letting go of his "idea" of "a walk" to enter his daughter's enactment
> of "a walk" is central to Jessica's notion of living-in-truth. Yes, it
> invites further dialogue and will be misunderstood. It requires
> further dialogue.
>
> I could have tried to write an essay fully outlining the term "surrender"
> This word has sparked considerable response within the tradition of
> feminism. I could also she it being challenged as Eurocentric or too
> psychological [emphasizing both accommodation and differentiation].

> [...]

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.