[Xmca-l] Re: Thirdness and its various versions

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:56:11 PST 2015

Mike,
You mentioned multi-modality and I agree. Yes cognition and social emotions
are intimately involved along with other "musical" rhythmic modalities.
Thought and language and the figural  within enactments [performances]

You asked if the staff is a sign? or a tool? I would have to say it is a
"sign" but the word "prop" also comes to mind.  I want to explore what I
see as the "imaginal" at play in the "symbolic" and cognitive enactment of
using the staff rather than a cane in setting the "scene"
The notion of a "middle way" within "third spaces" is exploring enacting
[or performing] within imaginal symbolic play.  Is the "image" of a cane
being replaced by a staff a "fact" or is it a more metaphorical
enactment. Do the staff or cane exist as "facts" having objective truth? Or
is the cane and staff imaginal symbolic ways of imagining being in the
world as "possibility".
 In Winnicott's language is this middle way or third space a "potential
space" or a "transitional" space which when enacted brings into "actuality"
the rhythmic pattern or dance of relating to an old lady [as a possible
"scene"] or a pattern of relating to an eccentric person and enacting this
alternative possible "scene".
The "scene" when enacted or performed always expresses palpable felt
experience. In the enactment the possible becomes "actual" and becomes
"factual"  Mike your friend in choosing a staff over a cane was acting from
within an imaginal symbolic "place" Is this "place" internal or external?
or is it a "potential place" of possibility which does not yet exist?
Within this imaginal symbolic presenting [not representing] presence [both
internal imagining and external performances] there are always palpable
felt experiences and every "interpretation" is guided by these multi-modal
ways of understanding.

Third spaces as ways of understanding explore "self-regulation" and
"dis-regulation" within intersubjective enactments and palpable felt
experience. I am also emphasizing their imaginal symbolic dimension as
"potential" or "transitional" spaces

The aspect that is being highlighted by the notion of  third spaces is
there embodied presence  and there witnessing quality which is often
marginalized or disowned when we privilege a particular "type" of
rationality and thinking.

What seems to be shared in common across multiple notions of "third spaces"
is privileging ethical or moral aspects of enactments. Who is included and
who is excluded.