[Xmca-l] Re: Thirdness and its various versions

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 17 13:49:05 PST 2015

I am working backwards here, but I have been thinking a lot about what I
was conceiving
in my own way as a form of thirdness that I think links to what is being
said here. Straighten me
out if I am wrong. (I promised to get out of here shortly, but its
interesting!).

We have a friend, now in her 60's, who is a college classmate of my wife
and a life long friend
of our family. She has been in ill health for sometime and looks a good
deal older than her years.
Balance is an issue for her.

When I first saw her the other day after many years I noticed that she was
carrying a large staff.
I laughted, and my first words  were "You look just like Gandalf! and gave
her a big hug."

Over tea she discussed that by carrying the staff instead of a cane, she
lost the invisibility created by
old age and she became a perons to others. People constantly started up
conversations with her and, being a skilled
conversationalist interested in people, it made her feel like a whole
person.

Seems interesting to me. Is it a kind of thirdness? A sign or (?) a tool?
Seems like cognition and social emotions are somehow involved as well.

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science as an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch.