[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 17 13:25:39 PST 2015

Rod-- I am in strong agreement with the sentiments in this note, which
makes me think the other is perhaps really responding to someone else on
the thread-- I am barely keeping up.

Yes, in a world where human psychological processes are assumed to be
distributed, specifying "what the learner knows"
(start where the child is) becomes a lot more complicated .

In my own teaching experience, the richest educational experiences occur in
practicum courses where the students
are part of a team doing something that matters, is uncertain, and never
perfect.... and then talking about it through
texts with a history of value as thinking tools. The good part about large
lecture halls is the requirement to be systematic, legible, and
interesting, but it is a terrible place for real dialogue.

mike