[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:29:16 PST 2015

Plekhanov makes the distinction between agitation on the one hand and
propaganda on the other. Agitation is the dissemination of a few
immediately actionable ideas to a very large number of people, while
propaganda is the dissemination of a whole coherent system of ideas, many
of which merely serve to mediate other ideas and are not immediately
actionable.

I think that Plekhanov's distinction has been misread in two ways. The
first is to read it as an elitist distinction between exoteric mobilization
and  esoteric recruitment, or, crudely put, agitation for cattle and
propaganda for cadres. The second is to see it as a theoretist distinction
between praxis and theory, or, crudely put, doing and believing.

In both cases the missing dimension is the historical moment. There are
some moments when it makes sense to disseminate Vygotsky's ideas in
immediately actionable forms--e.g. labor schools during the 1920s, concept
formation and the ZPD in the thirties, and in our own time, dynamic
assessment, reciprocal teaching, and Anna Sfard's work on Commognition.
These are moments when practical problems arise that require urgent
solutions by people who do not have time to master the whole system of
Vygotskyan concepts. These practical problems very often turn out to be
critical ones, however; that is, practical problems that require an
understanding of the problem as a moment of crisis.

So there are other moments when it makes sense to disseminate Vygotsky's
ideas as a whole coherent system--e.g. the complete text of Thinking and
Speech (yet to be made available in a really coherent form in English), the
complete text of HDHMF (ditto), and the kind of complete Vygotsky that
Anton Yasnitsky and Rene Van der Veer have been working on. These are
moments, such as the present moment in South Korea, when it is simply
impossible to move forward with practical solutions to critical problems,
and all good teachers can really hope to do for the moment is teach the
non-critical moment and prepare for the crisis.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies