[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 21:56:53 PST 2015

Miguel,
The “discovery” of alphabetic writing: pictographs—>ideographs—>logographs—(via rebus)—>syllabic—>alphabetic in the the Levant is one I am familiar with. Also, the narrative of the marginalization/oppression  of non-literate  indiigenous cultures is familiar. There is a popular book that deals with this: The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image, by Leonard Shlain, Viking, 1998.

 However, there are a few examples, I beiieve, of non-alphabetic writing systems that are part of “civilization”: `1) the logographic writing system of China, which allows speakers of Mandarin and Cantonese, mutually unintelligible in spoken form, to understand a single written system and 2) mathematical notation. Interestingly, Japanese has adopted the Chinese writing system and added a method, called Katakana, of representing the sounds of foreign borrowed words. In other words, they have a blended logographic/alphabetic writing system.

I am wondering if this discussion sheds light on the status of signed languages and indigenous languages, described as primitive and not real languages in the past. With devastating results for those signers and speakers and missed opportunities for the “mainstream”.

Henry

> [...]
> fact they have a richer array of means of representation than that overtly
> and consciously available to literate cultures.Nevertheless, as we pointed
> out earlier, literatecultures do make use of means of visual communication
> other than writing, be it that they are seen as uncoded replicas of
> reality or as a means of individual expression by children or artists.In
> other words, they are not treated as either the expressions of, or
> accessible to means of reading based on, articulated, rational and social
> meanings.
>
> Our unconventional history of writingis one that treats the coming
> together of visual and verbal representation as only one possibility, and
> one, furthermore, that brings with it not just those benefits of writing
> which are well enough understood, but also the negative aspects incurred
> in the loss of an independent form of representation, the diminution of
> modes of expression and representation. From that point of view cultures
> such as Austral­ian Aboriginal cultures are seen as having both modes of
> representation: the visual (or perhaps a whole set of visual forms of
> representation) and the verbal.The point of this history is not only  the
> political one of undermining the notion of 'illiterate  culture'  (or
> 'merely oral culture'), but also the attempt to see to what extent the
> conventional history blinds us to the facts and uses of visual
> communication in so-called literate-cultures.
>
> In this book we develop the hypothesis that ina literate culturethe visual
> means of communication are rational expressions of cultural meanings,
> amenable to rationalaccounts and analysis.The problem which we face is
> that literate cultureshave system­ atically suppressed means of analysis
> of the visual forms of representation, so that there is not, at the
> moment, an established theoretical framework within which visual forms of
> representation can be discussed.
>

> On 1/14/15 8:24 PM, "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>
>> Peg, does my remark that writing was invented "for administrative
>> purposes" stand up?
>> Andy
>> *Andy Blunden*
>> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
>>

>> Peg Griffin wrote:
>>> About writing origins, Henry: There's some accessible and reliable info
>>> through that U of Chicago Oriental Institute museum web-site I
>>> mentioned.
>>> You can download the catalog for free - over 200 pages of good essays
>>> and
>>> illustrations.
>>>
>>> http://oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/oi
>>> mp3
>>> 2.pdf
>>> The first chapter has a good discussion about writing and other early
>>> graphic representations from art and administrative functions.  It has a
>>> reasonable bibliography.  Subsequent specialized chapters also carry
>>> documentation.  It's certainly a good start if you want to follow this
>>> up.
>>>
>>> Peg Griffin, Ph. D.
>>> Washington, DC 20003

>>> thread?
>>> 2) Does oral history count as history?