[Xmca-l] Re: How embodied is Cognition?

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:33:15 PST 2015

Mike,
That’s what I thought. I especially like the image of “dialogue with the periphery” as “the motor driving developmental change” of all living things, all of creation really, as Darwin sees it. Reaching out. Call and response. Not just embodied, but agency, actively seeking connection temporally and spatially. I love Hutto and and McGivern’s final paragraph:

"Given these challenges it is important to note that radical E-approaches are often motivated by a deeper philosophical concern. There are serious grounds for thinking that we may never get a convincing explanation of how content-bearing mental representations fit into the natural order – not even at the end of science. On standard realistic assumptions, if this turns out to be true – barring mysterianism – this gives us reason to be skeptical about the existence of mental representations and the idea that they play a part in causally explaining behavior. However, mental representations might be understood literally or fictionally. This opens up the possibility that even if mental representations do not, in fact, literally exist, positing them may still play some other crucial explanatory role in our accounts of cognition. However, its proponents encounter other powerful worries – such as explaining what ultimately grounds the content of the models that posit mental representations if not mental representations.”

This, it seems to me, isn’t where science ends, but where science and art blend in creativity. Is this radical? “Mysterianism”?

Henry