[Xmca-l] Re: How embodied is Cognition?

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:17:49 PST 2015

Greg,
While reading about what Hutto and McGivern on “radical E-approaches to cognition I remembered reading a book by Esther Thelen and Linda Smith , A Dynamic Systems Approach to the Development of Cognition and Action (1994). Here are three quotes:
“We conclude here that, as all mental activity is emergent, situated, historical and embodied, there is in principle no difference between the processes engendering, walking, reaching, and looking for hidden objects and those resulting in mathematics and poetry.” (p. xxiii)

and

“Walking in intact animals is not controlled by an abstraction but in a continual dialogue with the periphery…What sculpts movement patterns are these peripheral demands, not cartoons of the movement that exist beforehand…Cats and humans do not walk in abstractions. They walk in a gravity-dominated, variable, and changing world for different functional purposes. “(p. 9)

and

“In chicks, as in frogs and humans, a dialogue with the periphery is an essential motor, driving developmental change.” (p. 19)

I wonder if Hutto and McGivern would call this radical.

Henry