[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Jan 5 23:01:31 PST 2015

I hesitate to intervene in this conversation, which is quintessentially,
though by no means exclusively, American. But the subject heading "What
is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?" recalls for me Myles Horton's remarks,
in his conversation with Paulo Freire:

    "I use the term /education/ in contrast to schooling. I decided
    before Highlander was started that I wanted to work with adults, and
    the reasons were that in growing up, commencement speakers always
    made the same speech that young people are the future leaders of
    this country. It's up to young people to make this a decent country
    and solve these problems. And I discovered what everybody else
    discovered, that they never had any intention of letting the people
    they were talking to do anything about society. It's a kind of
    pacification speech. The adults run society. Students don't run
    society. They have very little say within the schools let alone
    society, the larger society. So I decided I wanted to deal with the
    people who had the power, if they wanted to use it, to change
    society, because I was interested in changing society." (p. 182-3)

Freire and Horton educated the young, politically active adults in the
oppressed section of their respective societies, who went on to build
social movements and change society, though it appears that the job is
far from finished. I make these points, particularly to the educators on
xmca, in the spirit of Marx's "Theses in Feuerbach" #3:

    "The materialist doctrine that men are products of circumstances and
    upbringing, and that, therefore, changed men are products of changed
    circumstances and changed upbringing, forgets that it is men who
    change circumstances and that the educator must himself be educated.
    Hence this doctrine is bound to divide society into two parts, one
    of which is superior to society. The coincidence of the changing of
    circumstances and of human activity or self-change can be conceived
    and rationally understood only as **revolutionary practice**."

Andy
PS. Saw a great movie on this recently: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/