[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:44:51 PST 2015

Francine,

I would like to have you expand on your comment:

>From a Vygotsky-Luria perspective the development of the prefrontal
cortical connections
with the rest of the brain is the result of the internalization of the
verbal guidance
of a more knowledgeable person.
I am not questioning the notion of internalization of *guidance* of more
knowledgeable persons.
My question is not questioning the major influence of *verbal guidance*
My question concerns your use of *is* verbal guidance as possibly
bracketing out other means of guidance that may have been critical to the
development of the prefrontal cortex.
In other words other communicational forms of guidance. For example
processes such as *gestural guidance* which becomes internalized that is
prelinguistic.
My question relates to the exploration of theories of *felt structures* of
intersubjective social phenomena.
Developmentally the extension of this *gestural guidance* through verbal
thinking was a central increase in prefrontal cortex development, but I
wonder if the human capacity for *sound* gestures as *guidance* that become
internalized is also a central phenomena.

The kind of work Rod Parker is re-searching and scholars such as Daniel
Stern. Recognizing that verbal thought is the most complex and
transformative human phenomena that moves inward and becomes internalized
as self regulation. However,  I wonder if the growth of the  pre-frontal
cortex is also implicated in  other levels of *social intersubjective
guidance* which also become internalized as "felt structures" that are
preconceptual social phenomena.  The notion that *verbal thinking* is the
most highly developed and very complex type of gesturing which becomes
internalized along with other modes of gesturing guidance which also become
internalized.

Do Vygotsky and Luria hypothesize that it is the specific
developmental moment of interweaving when thinking becomes verbal that
leads to an explosion of the prefrontal cortex. I wonder if this moment is
an extension of a more primary *gestural guidance* that Vygotsky explores
in chapter 4 on the genetic roots of verbal thought.

 Vygotsky mentioned in chapter 4 that *verbal thought* is *circumscribed*
and therefore  I wonder if thinking [that is not verbal] AND communicating
[which is not conceptual] also play some formative role as other social
multi-modal functions which also resulted in precortical development. Yes
social communication phenomena, but not bracketing *verbal thinking* as the
only internalized process of self-regulation

I hope I am asking a clear question?  I recognize this line of
questioning may need to move to another thread.

Thanks Francine for the opportunity to chat
Larry

Larry