[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 15:33:20 PST 2015

Message from Francine:

What I am saying is that each individual does have to make his/her
own choices. Surrendering self-responsibility to the will of the group
is what creates dangerous oppressive 'group think' and mob violence.

Yes, we individually must make our own choices - but that does not exclude
choosing to be part of a group decision making process.

This is not just an ideological position, it is the neurological function
of the prefrontal cortex . The prefrontal cortex does have to go through a process
of neurological development during child development in order
to exercise its function of consciously directing behavior, emotions, and thinking.
This is Luria's pioneering research that now documents the neurological development
accompanying  the development of higher mental functions (Vygotsky).

Everyone has their own prefrontal cortex - it is either functioning or it is not.
Brain imaging technology is already documenting the absence of precortical activity
accompanying disorders such as schizophrenia and ADDH. From infancy through childhood
through adolescence, brain imagining technology documents increases in prefrontal activity.
The impulsiveness of adolescents is attributed to the prefrontal not be fully developed yet.

Alcohol and drugs such as depressants, marijuana and khat inhibit prefrontal
cortical functioning thus loosening inhibitions and producing a stupor. The impaired decision
making process associated with these drugs also makes people more suggestable.