[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:50:36 PST 2015

Returning to Raymond Williams and his notion of "structures of feeling"
that are factual and shared *sense* that is felt.  The comments from Greg
and others are asking if they are *unknowingly* participating in pedagogies
of oppressor(s) I read as an ethical question, in the spirit of Levinas.
His exploration asking
"am I *over* others, or am I *equal* to others* or must I *answer the face
of the other* who will not release me from my obligation to the other.

Why is Levinas read today when his writings were unread for many years. Is
it because we are *involved* in a *structure of feeling* that we sense as
ambivalence.

The terms *oppressors* is indicating a possible *felt* structure that is a
social phenomena experienced by some in positions of power and that feeling
*calls* them to action prior to clear articulation of why in language.