[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Jan 4 10:01:18 PST 2015

Hi Helena,

I worry about this divide between psychological and social in education.  Collective views of education can be at least as dangerous as collective education.  In some sense it seems to me (right now) that one of the goals in education should be in giving individuals the capabilities to critically look at the collective and wonder why they are accepting it, why they are apart of it.  I do think treating the individual simply as an information processing machine is dangerous as well - but the education of the oppressor is at its core an education of the collective, it is just a collective that benefits the individual.  Last year I was thinking a lot about the beginnings of critical theory in Germany coinciding with the rise of the Nazis by Fromm and Adorno, later joined by Horkheimer.  Their stance was confusion and despair at why so many workers were going against their own interests and buying into the collective of nationalistic belief systems (why they are so quick to join with the collective).  I know he is not much talked about these days but Freud wondered the same thing.  Thomas Frank has asked the same thing recently in the U.S. with his book "What's the matter with Kansas.  Freire cites the work of Adorno and Fromm a good deal in Pedagogy of the Oppressed, making the argument that the reason people make these choice that seem so apparently against their own benefit is because of the way we are educated.  We are educated to take our place in the collective.  It's not that this is something we shouldn't do, but something we should think about before we do.

I don't think No Child Left Behind was ever about teaching specific things - it was mostly about teaching them to be good little cogs in the machine and not fight back.

Michael
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Helena Worthen [helenaworthen@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 12:47 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

Greg -

Quickly, since the thread is moving on. I'm arguing that a "Pedagogy of the Oppressor" is what we've got going on throughout our educational system. At the elite heights, students learn how to rule the world; in the depths, the same pedagogy functions as social control.

Here is a quote from Lave's article "teaching, as Learning, in Practice," which was published in MCA vol 3 no 3. The article is drawn from her acceptance speech at AERA when she got the Sylvia Scribner award. She says:

"...theories that conceive of learning as a special universal mental process impoverish and mis-recognize it...Theories that reduce learning to individual mental capacity/activity in the last instance blame marginalized people for being marginal. Common theories of learning begin and end with individual (though these days they often nod at "the social" or "the environment" in between). Such theories are deeply concerned with individual differences, with notions of better and worse, more and less learning, and with comparison of these things across group-of-individuals... the logic that makes success exceptional but nonetheless characterizes lack of success as not normal won't do. A reconsideration of learning as a social, collective, rather than individual, psychological phenomenon offers the only way beyond the current state of affiars that i can envision at the present time."

It sounds to me as if she is thinking of (although this was 1996) both No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top. Right? But she was writing just when the trend in that direction was getting going. the Clinton years, when people were intoxicated with the first vast applications of computer technology which would make testing so much easier.

Helena

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com