[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sat Jan 3 13:15:16 PST 2015

Hello,

As I leap into the mosh pit, I'd have to agree that "east/west" is particularly problematic.

I was watching the netflix miniseries this past week, "Marco Polo." I must admit my ignorance of the dynasties in China. The manifest trade on the silk road between east and west was, I hope, a fair representation of what happened, even if it is a netflix miniseries. But even if it were misrepresented, it does appear that conquest happened "inside" the eastern borders among ethnic peoples there by none other than Kublai Khan.

China's Grand Canal was dug by 4 million peasants over about 1000 years. I sort of doubt they were listened to. But the creation of that canal was that age's "bullet train" and apparently contributed to unification of China.

Another Marco Polo documentary produced by Aljazeera was aired recently which I watched as well, and one of the Chinese scholars observed that Marco Polo's news of the cultural advancement of China upon his return at the age of 41  to Venice and after being in China for 24 years, was what inspired European world exploration; that Columbus had a copy of Marco Polo's writing on his person when he sailed to the end of the world under the auspices of Ferdinand and Isabella.

Saying "east/west" appears to be misleading, because warring for power and resources happens "north/south" as well. And yet, this doesn't works either, does it?

Is it possible that the "idea" of conquest originated in the east with the great Khan? Even the notion of colonialism? Certainly of empire. With this in mind, is it all that productive to essentialize oppression?

Oppression wherever it happens is the issue, isn't it? Furthermore, if one wants to know who doesn't feel heard, just ask.

Certainly there will be distrust the first time this question is asked, but perhaps if it continues to be asked, there will be established a trust that the other side is willing to listen?

Kind regards,

Annalisa