[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

Aria Razfar arazfar@uic.edu
Sat Jan 3 09:44:30 PST 2015

Greg and Annalisa,

The question you raise, and a point made earlier by Peter, seems to me the
outcome of post-colonial literature. This is why there is a need for the
"Western intellectual" to "go East." This was the conclusion of Edward
Said's "Orientalism" and other post-colonial theorists. Since the time of
Napoleon, the "Western intellectual" had been going east, engaged in
"subaltern studies" for the purpose of conquest and cultural domination.
He/She must now "go East" to hear/listen to the "other" in order to reclaim
its self and embrace a pedagogy of "decolonization." If the "Western
intellectual" is the oppressor, then "going East" to "hear" is his/her
pedagogy. I believe this was at the at the heart of Freire's "Pedagogy of
the Oppressed" as well. A pedagogy that is just as "critical" and liberatory
for the so called "oppressor" as it is for the so called "oppressed." This
is a dialectic missing in today's critical, ethnic, and "subaltern" studies
programs.

Aria

Aria Razfar, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Literacy, Language, and Culture
Director of Graduate Studies, Curriculum and Instruction
University of Illinois at Chicago
1040 W. Harrison St. M/C 147
Chicago, IL, 60607

Director of English Learning through Mathematics, Science and Action
Research (ELMSA)
www.elmsa.org

Webpage: http://education.uic.edu/personnel/faculty/aria-razfar-phd
Tel: 312-413-8373