[Xmca-l] Re: Further reflections on hope as the not yet formed

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:22:15 PST 2015

Larry,
Again, this is a fantastic redux, so thanks. And also thanks for the
Gadamer special issue. I've downloaded and hope to be able to get to them
soon.

A somewhat sideways comment on the Simmel post - it makes me wonder about
the possibility of a "salon culture" in the U.S. today. It seems an
impossibility among adults for too many reasons (I say "adults" because
when I was in high school, a group of us referred to ourselves as "Madam
Geoffrin's Salon" - apparently entirely oblivious to the gender politics
involved considering that we were all male!).

Anyway, it is difficult to imagine any group of people being able to give
an afternoon once a week to discussion of important matters. The only
matters that seem to matter today are making money.

But maybe there are spaces for this in academic life? (esp. if you already
have tenure...).

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.