[Xmca-l] Re: Interdisciplinarity and Transdisciplinarity

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:54:03 PST 2015

Anna & Henry:

When Vygotsky speaks of "meaning", he distinguishes two kinds. In English,
these two kinds are "sense" and "significance", but this is just borrowed
from French (from Paulhan). In Russian the terms he uses are "sense"
and..."meaning"! When Volosinov speaks of "meaning", he also distinguishes
two kinds. In English these are translated as "theme" and "meaning", but in
Russian the terms are "tema" and...once again, meaning
You can see that there's a terminological problem: if you say "meaning" we
don't know if you mean the overall, general, hypernym--the meaning that
includes both kinds of meaning--or the more concrete, specific,
hyponym--the meaning which, alongside "theme" or "sense", is only one kind
of meaning. When we translated Thinking and Speech, we solved the problem
by using "value" for general meaning and then "sense-value" and
"significance-value" for the two types of meaning. This translation problem
is what led one of our members to the insight that what Vygotsky really has
in mind is the difference between value on the one hand and use-value and
exchange-vaule on the other which Marx makes in the first volume of
Capital.

Now, in the second chapter of Vygotsky's "History of the Development of the
Higher Mental Functions", when Vygotsky speaks of mediating activity, he
distinguishes two kinds: tool-mediation and sign-mediation. He warns that
the precise genetic relationship of these terms has to be worked out--that
is, someone needs to write a Capital or a Thinking and Speech that will
explain how one of them emerges from the other. He says that people who
confuse or collapse the difference between them fall into three types:
psychologists using sloppy metaphors that have no content (e.g.
"Geistestechnik", or "Tools of the Mind"), pragmatists who ignore the
distinction (John Dewey is mentioned), and enthusiasts of technology
making hyperbolic and over-literal claims for the psychological effects of
technology use (Ernst Kapp, Wilhelm Wundt, and William Dwight
Whitney)...see Eng. Collected Works, Vol. 2, p. 60-61).

Obviously, we have the same problem today. The most commonly used
neo-Vygotskyan book in early education is undoubtedly "Tools of the Mind",
by Elena Bodrova and Deborah Leong. The most widely read biography of
Vygotsky is Kozulin's book "Psychological Tools". Any version of the
Engestrom triangle will show that tools/signs are conflated at the apex of
the triangle. In order to write a "Capital" or a "Thinking and Speech" of
mediating activity (that is, in order to determine genetically,
functionally, and then structurally the precise linkedness-but-distinctness
that we find between the two kinds of mediating activity), we need to do
some terminological work. In particular, we need to make sure that we do
not use the term 'activity" to refer to both person-to-environment
interaction (where there is a subject-to-object relationship since our days
as hunter gatherers) and person-to-person interaction (where there is a
subject-to-subject relationship since language was first invented). If we
do this, we fall into the same confusion as if we use "meaning" to refer to
both the hypernym and the hyponym.

The same thing happens if we use the term creativity or performance or
process--if we really care about these things, we'll develop a terminology
that shows that we appreciate the fine distinctions. And in fact in this
case the difference is not that fine at all--it's a difference between
treating your interactional partner as an acorn tree, an berry bush or a
wild auroch and treating them as another human being who can and will in
good time be able to act on you the way you have just acted upon him/her.

Compare:

a) "I cut down the forest."

b) "The forest grew."

c) "The forest saw/felt/thought/spoke of many changes happening."

The first, transitive, relationship is straight SVO--subject, verb, object.
It's a manly relationship that expresses human action on objects, and it's
the core of grammar for most of what Whorf called the Standard Average
European languages, including English. The second, ergative, one is
actually more common in languages like Urdu, Korean, Chinese. It's (S)V or
sometimes SOV--you introduce the participants and then you describe the
process link between them. English does this too, of course--I just did it
when I said the forest grew. According to N.I. Marr, a Soviet linguist who
apparently attended the seminars that Vygotsky and Luria attended along
with Eisenstien,this is a more ancient way of talking about the world which
corresponds to hunter-gatherer and pastoral societies and it falls away
when people begin to farm and produce commodities in factories. But
Halliday says this is actually a vulgar Marxist simplification--the truth
is that scientific English, if anything, prefers the ergative b) to the
transitive a). Ergative expressions are also common in processes like
cooking ("I boil the water"-->"the water boils"), physical changes of state
("the prism refracts the light"-->the light refracts"), movement ("I shut
the door"-->"The door shut") and, in recent times, motor vehicles ("I fly
the plane"-->"The plane flies"). What both Marr and Halliday agree on is
that very few languages tend to c)--that is, very few languages are willing
to treat the environment as subject, and in particular as a subject that is
capable of projecting (verbs of cognition, verbs of verbal communication).

See:

Halliday, M.A.K. (1990). New Ways of Meaning: The Challenge to Applied
Linguistics. Journal of Applied Linguistics 6, 7-36.

Also anthologized in the Ecolinguistics Reader, Fill and Mulhausler (Eds).
London: Continuum, and in vol. 3 of Halliday's Collected Works, "On
Language and Linguistics", London: Continuum.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies