[Xmca-l] Re: Understanding "functions" within the "zone" of proximal development

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:19:41 PST 2015

Annalisa,
I recommend going to a special volume of the journal "Theory, Culture, and
Society" 2006, volume. 23 (1):

This volume presents 4 key essays by Gadamer, and also includes
anintroduction by Richard Palmer [see Martin Packer's chapter on
hermeneutics recently sent to XMCA for an introduction to Palmer]. There is
also another article which is a conversation between Grondin and Gadamer on
the impact of Gadamer's work for the social sciences.

Gadamer's focus is on understanding "understanding" and understanding is
the fact that "language and thinking" are inseparable.  For Gadamer
language is a "repository" of culture and reveals the "thought forms" of a
culture. Gadamer views understanding as a "fabric", a network of
understandings [verbal thought forms] out of which we understand what we
understand that "resides" in previous understandings deposited in language.

Gadamer's view of language is radically not like scientific views of
language that approach language abstractly in terms of contextless
assertions of logic. For Gadamer, language is constantly building up and
bearing "within itself" the commonality of a "world orientation". It is
this "fabric of shared meanings [this orientation, this approach] that
creates a common social world that makes social "solidarity" possible.
Gadamer's INCLUSION of this background of shared understandings
[inseparable thought and language]  which Gadamer says is lacking in the
abstractness of "scientific" treatments of language.

I believe Francine's and Seth's notions of "functions" can be seen as
"approaching" the same themes as Gadamer.  Accessing the special issue of
the journal I mentioned is a way into Gadamer's approach to "philosophical"
hermeneutics.

Larry