[Xmca-l] Re: Interdisciplinarity and Transdisciplinarity

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Feb 25 16:19:48 PST 2015

Hi all,

David, yes, of course when I said performance art, I meant the kind of performance art along the lines of John Cage, and Joseph Beuys. Not performance such as theater arts, opera, film, television, or music concerts. Not to diminish them as art, but to distinguish them from art that is performed, possibly never to be performed again. It is by its nature experimental, and suitably political, because performance art as I referenced it is art that seeks to avoid its commodification into an object that then becomes fetishized into a product.

This art is, I hope, art that tends to The Original, rather than The Copy, in its search to help the viewer see Something New about the world.

Jackson Pollack's performance of the abstract expressionist painting (as a verb) approaches this, but then doesn't because it was filmed, allowing the filmed version to become the one that is remembered as The Original, when it really is The Copy.

I was wondering if you would mind making your thought-flights a little more connected about that to Interdisciplinarity and Transdisciplinarity? Only because I am unable to do that myself and could use some help.

What are the gaps in CHAT exactly ?

What do you mean that activity and labor are not sufficient ?

What is wrong with the word, "creativity" as the word to describe mediating activity using tools? Of course this can be with signs or without signs. Or perhaps problem-solving vs problem-finding? Unfortunately these phrases have some history that may be undesired….

Also, I had also considered genocide studies to be a discipline that has the purpose to eliminate itself as well.

A study of the nature of ignorance, and the nature of poverty, as well. Anything that is undesirable in human existence with the hope to eradicate it from existence might be such a transdiscipline, if it appeals as a definition to be a discipline it eliminates itself.

Also, isn't the point about product vs. process to really show that there is no such thing as a product? That everything is a process, but the conception of a product is actually created through framing ? This framing is not done in the world per se, but done cognitively.

Also, not all processes occur at the same speed, consider biological evolution and cultural evolution...

Kind regards,

Annalisa