[Xmca-l] Re: Understanding "functions" within the "zone" of proximal development

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:24:47 PST 2015

Message from Francine Smolucha:

Larry,

Seth Chaiklin in redefining Vygotsky's terminology (functions and zone of proximal
development), creates a developmental model that is very static. Vygotsky, however,
is very clear in describing a dynamic model of how elementary psychological functions
develop into consciously directed higher psychological functions through the internalization
of speech. This is very different from Chaiklin defining higher psychological (or mental)
functions as higher level concepts involving more abstract thinking, such as scientific
concepts - this is more like an cultural model of Piagetian concrete and formal operational
thinking.

I think you hit the mark when you said that Chaiklin's developmental model produces
crystallized and sedimented psychological functions that are preordained by a particular
culture. [This is different from Piaget's structuralist theory in which reasoning with scientific concepts naturally emerges at certain ages]. By making the term 'higher' simply refer to
the higher skill level designated by a particular culture - it all becomes culturally relative.

Vygotsky introduced something very different. The dynamics of consciously directing
one's own thoughts, emotions, perceptions, and behaviors  allows for creativity.
Vygotsky also said that consciously directed higher mental functions (such as imagination
and analytic thinking) can be used in collaboration as psychological systems.
This is exactly what contemporary neuroscience has found in its brain-imaging
studies (fMRI) of the prefrontal neocortex.

My husband (Larry Smolucha) and I are writing a chapter titled "Neuropsychological
Systems of Cultural Creativity" for the 2nd edition of Vygotsky and Creativity.
Cathrene, Vera, and Ana suggested to their acquisitions editor that Larry and I expand
that chapter into a book. (So yes indeed, I can cite my sources including Vygotsky's
works in Russian or contemporary neuroscience.)