[Xmca-l] Re: Interdisciplinarity and Transdisciplinarity

Peter peterfh46@gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:03:29 PST 2015

Hello,

I was thinking about this recently when writing a grant proposal on a"sustainability" project. Sustainability has replaced "green", "Eco" and other keywords as a catchall term for socially and environmentally responsible engagement with the world. Its a concept that can be integrated into any traditional discipline, but not necessarily emanating from one of them in particular, I think it truly does represent a transdisciplinary notion. Something like environmental studies is interdisciplinary in nature because it pulls from various disciplines and is integrated in a new one. Sustainability studies on the other hand can reside within disciplines such as history, geography, philosophy etc.

Sustainability studies would also fit the definition you mention about a discipline that seeks to eliminate itself.

I suppose globalization studies, which seem to be growing in popularity, would be another example of this type of transdisciplinary concept

Best,

Peter