[Xmca-l] Re: Interdisciplinarity and Transdisciplinarity

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:10:17 PST 2015

I take it that "Cultural Historical" deliberately puts the cart before the
horse: history is the process, and culture is its product. And why not?
Natural language semantics works this way too; you will find tht "because"
is much more common than "as a result" or even "so" in spoken language.
Because we live here, it is the present that needs to be accounted fo; that
is why we have unruly perfective "aspects" like "past-in-the-present" (e.g.
"The worst has been averted"). But of course today's culture is tomorrow's
history.

I don't think that a theme is a "concept area". Halliday's point is that
ANY concept area can be measured and treated mathematically, ANY concept
area can be treated historically, and so ANY concept area can be treated as
meaning. Take, for example, such wildly disparate areas as computers on the
one hand and consciousness on the other. It is possible to treat both as
ways of processing meaning, so long as we have a definition of meaning that
is broad enough (something like "information which is encoded within other
information").

In 1954, my father and my mother published this paper together.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1721584

As you can see, it's about the "odd ball" problem: you have twelve balls
and and a balance, and you know that one of them is lighter or heavier than
the others; what is the minimum number of balancings you have to do to find
it? They treated the problem as "entropy of information", in other words,
as an essentially semantic problem, although of course entropy can also be
regarded as a purely physical phenomenon.

I do not want to make exaggerated claims for applied linguistics. We are
essentially a set of problems in search of a theory. But the way this state
of affairs came about is that in the early sixties Chomsky divorced
theoretical linguistics from real world problems, by creating an object of
study that was purely imaginary: "competence" as opposed to performance,
and the competence of a non-existent perfect native speaker in a homogenous
speech community to boot. Part of the discussion of Chomsky's Cartesianism
on the list is a discussion of that fundamental break, which, like
Saussure's break, really did throw linguistics back to the pre-historical
(i.e., thematically speaking, the pre-nineteenth century) age.

Enrollment in linguistics departments cratered in response to this; nobody
wanted to devote a career to studying arcane branches of X-bar syntax.
Applied linguistics (and also perhaps Communication, since not everybody
interested in language was willing to undertake a lifetime of exile) was a
response to this. Applied ling begat TESOL, which in an effort to avoid
becoming a nursing degree has become, alas, a kind of MBA for applied
linguists. As you can see, the movement has been to move towards "real
world problems" (and towards money) and away from theory. It has also been
a flight from history: I am teaching a course in the history of TESOL this
semester, and I am astonished at the number of books that claim that
teaching English began in the twentieth century. We are going to start our
course, next week, in 1413, when Henry Vth becomes King of England.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign STudies