[Xmca-l] Re: Every era seems to find the Neanderthal it needs.

Helen Harper helen.harper@bigpond.com
Wed Feb 18 04:16:43 PST 2015

Hi Annalisa,
agreed.

I was thinking about societies where I’ve worked and am a bit familiar with, such as those of the Australian central desert regions. They have been around for millennia, even though the landscape supports only numbers of people, and the population traditionally was spread very thinly over the landscape. But there’s no shortage of abstract thinking in those societies.

I guess the idea that societies get bigger and denser, and this correlates with the development of higher psychological processes - this struck me as being somewhat Euro-centric.

cheers,
Helen