[Xmca-l] Re: The systemic perspective vs the use perspective vs the knowledge perspective

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 00:30:35 PST 2015

Annalisa,
I quickly read the Losonsky article and it makes clear his approach that
language by its nature divides dialectically into  system and use.
However, there is an approach to the "philosophy of language" that offers a
"genealogical approach". Franson Manjali writes from this perspective and
makes a case that the "oscillating" movement of the emergence of Modern
Linguistics [its history] is a facet or face of the Eurocentric emergence
of Colonialism and Nationalism and the search for standards and rules that
showed the European languages as superior.
Franson suggests to understand the philosophy of modern language theory is
to understand the development of language studies as the companion of
empire as the construction of a "system of rule".
THIS history of language traces how the emergence of "linguistic science"
was a facet of the emergence of nation states. Three examples are offered.
1] the creation of "standards" [unified fields of exchange] below Latin and
above the vernaculars.
2] providing a new fixity to language which helped to build the "image" of
antiquity so central to the idea of "nation".
3] the creation of new "languages" and disciplines of "power".

The systematizing  of languages into "complex" and "primitive" was a result
of this Eurocentric movement and approach to language.

I do not have a background in this area but I wonder if the understanding
that there are two distinct "themes" in language studies might not
be understood as version ignoring the power relationships enacted when
approaching  the history of languages "as an object of study" which can be
traced to a particular situated historical event when Eurocentric power was
emerging as dominant.
This is an approach that views "ethics" as central to the study of language.

Larry