[Xmca-l] Re: Elaborations on Nissen's Could Life Be...

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 17:35:09 PST 2015

To return to Morten Nissen to explore the place of art "on" stage. Page A31
of the "Meeting Youth in Movement" article. morten is exploring the
"performative "turn" in the social sciences [studies]. He asks,
"What constitutes "making it"? as he is exploring "standards" or general
notions of "making it".
Remember he as a researcher is being paid to "evaluate" the performance
activity.
He further asks "How does performance achieve objectivity as a way to move
"beyond" the stage and "beyond" performance?

One particular answer he offers [which he suggests is valid in today's
post-industrial societies - "lies in the sociomateriality of the stage
*itself* [LP- the sociomateriality of the space] Resources, power, and
recognition obviously concentrated in the The Crew [the stage] *itself *even
as it *merely* staged social problems.  The youth who might talk to a
therapist *about *her lonliness could instead get new friends by
participating in The Crew's staging of a performance *about* lonliness;
rather than complain about being disenfranchised she might represent The
Crew in negotiations with City officials an EU funded project for Youth
Participation, or witness unskilled self-helpers ... giving interviews and
lectures to respectfully listening social workers..... The stage *itself,
as it were, goes far beyond the stage."*

Morten then acknowledges that there are "limits" to this "kind" of answer.
According to the performance literature [Turner, Goffman, Willis] reflexive
performance is *generally a liminal* experience [beyond static standards
and rules] that eventually gives way to a "normal state" [again standards
and standardization] and the performance only marginally challenges the
standards.
*These *questions of how to go "beyond" standards when we require being
within standards to exist within institutions which enact standards brings
us back to "art" and "work" and there relation as they play out in our
sense and meaning.

It also is another instance of using the metaphor of "place" [as "stage".]
within which we express ourselves in performances.

Larry