[Xmca-l] Re: Elaborations on Nissen's Could Life Be...

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 06:37:36 PST 2015

It looks like you're raising some of the same problems or conclusions,
Annalisa.  Note for anyone tracking this, there are presently two Nissen
papers in circulation (could life be & meeting youth).

A short while back, Annalisa, you were posing some questions related to
Chomsky and other topics.  It struck me that the introductory chapter from
Losonsky's "Humboldt On Language" covered that ground in good ways (sorry I
can't remember the specific questions).

On a similar theme I watched one one of Chomsky's talks presented at Google
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PwG4UoJ0Y) which covered some basic
though still interesting points, it might be interesting to look at the
papers he refers to with respect to the design bias of language for
thinking over communication (if one was able to provide reasonable
definitions of the two and also distinguish between them).

My impression was that his points were much more aligned to the theories
that I find reasonable (perhaps my older impression of him was conflated
with Pinker), yet my sense (quite possibly completely wrong) is that he
hasn't really come to terms with constructivist processes, he seem to focus
on basic resources rather than how they can be transformed and used.

Huw