[Xmca-l] Re: sense, meaning and inner aspect of word

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:06:17 PST 2015

Michael:

You're right--Jean Paulhan was a very interesting fellow. He was editor of
the lit crit journal founded by Cocteau and others, which first published
Sartre and Camus. He was also a member of the resistance (but the journal
wasn't; it was shut down for collaboration with the Nazis). For those who
require a little more lively interest, he was apparently the "hero" of the
"Story of O", which was the previous generation's version of "Fifty Shades
of Grey". All that, AND a Christian minister (partly in rebellion against
his father, who was a free-thinker).

But Vygotsky's referring to an uninteresting 1929 article by this very
interesting chap. Here's what our man actually says:

  p. 289: "Le sens d'un mot, dans son acceptation la plus large, c'est tout
l'ensemble de faits psychologiques que ce mot e/veille dans un esprit, et
que la re/action de cet esprit ne rejette pas, mais accueille et organise."
(The sense of a word, in its broadest acceptance, is all the psychological
facts which the word evokes in a mind which the reaction of the mind does
not reject but instead accomodates and organizes.)

  On p. 293 he contradicts this with a story about an acquaintance of his
for whom the name "Scipion" evokes a plate of scrambled eggs, not,
according to Paulhan, part of either the sense or the meaning of the name.
So we can see that right away Paulhan has some trouble with the distinction
between private "sense" and social sense. But this distinction is really
the key to the problem, because private sense is to social sense as actual
meaning in use is to potential meaning in a language system.

 On p. 304 poor Paulhan is totally stumped by the expression "beyond
words", or "beyond my power to express" or "inexpressible", because these
expressions do very clearly evoke a psychological fact which many people
share, and therefore, contrary to what the words actually say, they have
both sense and meaning. But if they say something OTHER than what they
mean...?

  On p. 305, he argues that the sense and also the meaning of "furious"
stems from PAST experiences of fury. Presumably, then, the meaning of
"death" stems from our past experiences of death?

 Moving right along (p. 318-319) , Paulhan decides that lies do not have
any meaning. But if they do not evoke a stable, socially shared zone of
sense how can they be effective as lies?

Interestingly, when Paulhan sits down to write a whole book ("Les deux
fonctions de language") he decides that the whole distinction between
"sens" and "signifance" is nonsense and insignificant, and he ignores it!
As A.A. Leontiev remarked, Paulhan just means the connotation and
denotation of words, not the real meaning in use and the potential meaning
in the dictionary.

So here's the problem. Vygotsky clearly HAS read this article and DOES use
it: the stuff on the world having the "sense" of the solar system--all of
that stuff is here. But the key distinction that Vygotsky really needs--the
distinction which is related to GENERALIZATION and to ABSTRACTION, which
will allow him to show how word meanings can develop into true
concepts--that's what's missing. And that's what is right there in
Volosinov, alongside a social mechanism which will allow us to show how
socialization into language is also individuation into free will.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies