[Xmca-l] Re: Nissen on working with youth

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:50:18 PST 2015

And note that this piece articulates very nicely with the issues on that
other thread about the transferrability of pedagogy across socio-cultural
contexts, or as Nissen says:

" the question whether and how standards of educational practice can be
transferred across great spatio-temporal and socio-cultural distances is
far from straightforward
​ ​
and simple: addressing a Brazilian audience with Danish experience, I was
impelled to reconsider it."

I would add that this piece also articulates with Martin Packer's issues of
"constitution" in that Nissen suggests that pedagogy is the "forming of
persons".

That also takes us back to bildung - is this ideological imperialism?

I would argue, with Nissen (I think), that it is not, but rather approaches
a cultural universal. The particular forms vary dramatically from one
cultural context to the next but it seems to me that peoples everywhere
care very much about "forming persons".

No?

-greg

--