[Xmca-l] Re: Thoughts on culture & liberty

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 05:29:23 PST 2015

Compelling as the "liberal/ethical relations" notion is, it does seem to
imply that there is an ideal form of personality constituting this
(essentially psychodynamic) notion of culture (i.e. as the kind of ethical
regard required to constitute a zpd).  Is that justifiable I wonder?
Personally, I tend to think that it is what constitutes civilization (in
the sense Clive Bell used, as an attitude or state of mind).  Yet it would
be rather abhorrent to turn it into dogma.

For those wondering what this is about, I'll attempt a brief analogy.  To
undertake science (to become a scientist) it is generally necessary to
accommodate certain world views about objectivity etc.  In a similar way,
an ideal orientation to teaching/development (i.e. a zpd-like relation)
implicates an interpersonal relation of a similar "world view" type
magnitude, such as the considerate (agency-empowering) regard one has for
one-self and others.  Instead of thinking of this as some sort of skilful
aspect of (or adjunct to) culture, it appears to be something much more
central and, indeed, more culturally important than the particular
technological (or mnemonic) form a society takes.  It is more about
relations of power and community (or its absence) than about artifacts etc.

To the degree that people have power, they have the power to adopt
egalitarian forms of conduct (though they may, presumably, lose that power
in doing so).  Power may be obtained through technical, mnemonic and
linguistic forms, yet the relation to this power, the way it is wielded,
seems to be influenced by cultural knowledge (or values) of a different
order to that of artifacts etc.

The etymological senses of caring and cultivating certainly seem to support
this view. (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=culture).  In this
sense, the ZPD and similar relations are not imparting culture, they are
doing it.

Huw