[Xmca-l] Re: Thoughts on culture & liberty

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Feb 9 18:31:59 PST 2015

Huw, I think there is an irreducible ambiguity and indeterminacy in the
concept of "culture".
There are some very sound but quite different meanings.

For example, Franz Boas was the first person to use the word in the
plural: "Cultures" and there can be no doubt that this concept, which
designates a potentially self-contained whole of material resources,
beliefs and forms of activity, is a useful and legitimate meaning.

On the other hand, some of us CHAT people confine the word "culture" to
indicate the sum of all artefacts, including ephemeral artefacts like
spoken words. But I use the term "constellation" rather than "sum" to
indicate that the the culture is not just a pile of objects such as an
archaeologist finds when they first dig up a site, but the specific
meaningful relations between them all which makes them constitute a
whole, that is, a culture in Boas's sense. (Again this distinction
between mass noun and count noun!)

I think there could be reasonable definitions of culture in terms of
activities only and in terms of beliefs only, but I think the concept of
"culture" as something which one can have more or less of, is useful
only in connection with individuals and their Bildung (i.e., a person's
acquisition of and participation in the culture of their community). One
could ascribe all sorts of adjectives to a culture, and maybe in an
historical sense even the "loss" of culture - so I guess one just has to
be open here.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/