[Xmca-l] Re: Verismo and Kitsch

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Feb 9 18:28:45 PST 2015

Hi,

The thing about jazz is that there are aspects of it that are reproductive of other forms of music, and the mastery is not only the elaboration upon the original work, but its interpretative aspects as the jazz is played in the present moment.

That's why I can see Ardorno not liking jazz and David liking it. Jazz is something to experience personally, not to just listen to, because of the improvisational aspects of its traditions, which includes high-tailing it to a club at 2 am after a long work shift.

I did find Robert's use of "the personal is political" quite delightful, by the way, and I think more men should use it when speaking among themselves! I'm all for men's liberation! :)

I'd say though, that the reason for inequalities has more to do with a lack of choices, than anything else, which is strange in a land where I can buy 50 different versions of a coffee, or an aisle full of difference in cereal. On second thought, is it really a choice when the cereal is just vitamin-fortified white flour and white sugar just in different brightly colored boxes? And coffee is just coffee with water, sometimes coffee and water and milk, and sometimes coffee and water and sugar, and sometimes coffee and water and milk and sugar. I will not talk about coffee flavorings like hazelnut, almond, mint, etc. It just really is too much choice that makes the original experience of a good cup of coffee quite elusive.

So how is it possible to have a lack of choices when there are too many? (This ties into what I was thinking about real art and real kitsch.)

The only way for change is when everyone can see clearly what is at stake and what can be gained. If we are convinced there is nothing at stake and nothing can be gained, then nothing will change, as nothingness goes.

We'll continue as we have, reproducing what was before in a differently colored box, or a new flavor of sugar.

I dont' see art as social contagion, however. I respect that view as a view, but for me art has become so commoditized it's difficult to see its value. So it's hard to see it as a contagion, at least not anymore.

I'm still attempting to process this concept of real and unreal emotion, David. It is making me think about the recent Michael Keaton movie, Birdman. (I did adore the tribute to his grandfather by the way).

The conversation continues!

Kind regards,

Annalisa