[Xmca-l] Re: Women's right to elect and to stand for election in general elections

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:05:10 PST 2015

Sorry Ulvi:

A correction: White women didn't vote in New Zealand until 1893, and Maori
women were only allowed to vote for four symbolic "Maori" seats in the
national assembly. (Incredibly, indigenous people were not allowed to vote
here in Australia until 1962, and for census purposes were counted as
animals; in Tasmania in the nineteenth century there were bounties for
shooting them.)

What DID happen in the 1870s was the first really national right of women
to vote and hold office...the Paris Commune.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University