[Xmca-l] Fwd: Call for Proposals for Keywords in Social Studies Education Book

Robert Lake boblake@georgiasouthern.edu
Wed Dec 9 15:54:01 PST 2015

Of possible interest to many of us.
Robert Lake
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ming Fang He" <mfhe@georgiasouthern.edu>
Date: Dec 9, 2015 6:20 PM
Subject: Call for Proposals for Keywords in Social Studies Education Book
To: <AERA_DIVISION_B-ANNOUNCE@listserv.aera.net>

*Please see the attached CFP for a co-edited book project. We welcome your
proposals for responding to a "keyword" in social studies education. *

*This book aims to unpack and unsettle the dynamic, contested workings
behind keywords often employed in the social studies. We would like to see
what could happen if we unsettle words taken for granted (such as “region”)
and words which may need to be resettled (such as “terrorism”). Our goal is
to feature unique and differing perspectives from a wide variety of
scholars in the field of social studies and/or social education to help
researchers, pre-service teachers, and experienced educators re- examine
the shared conceptual terminology in our fields. New takes on old keywords
can open up an array of compelling questions for us to employ in social
studies education. How may we be able to revitalize moments of social
studies education when thematic elements related to “consumption” and
“citizenship” are renewed, challenged, or actualized in innovative ways?
The chapter for each keyword should work to develop practices of reading
the concept in motion for diverse possibilities in social studies
education, identifying connections of inquiry attuned to the rhythms of a
field that is always on the move.*

*Submission of 600-800 keyword entry proposals are due on January 22, 2016.
For questions, please email us at: socialstudieskeywords@gmail.com
<socialstudieskeywords@gmail.com>*

*_________________________________*
*Mark E. Helmsing*
*Secondary Social Studies Education Program Coordinator*
*Assistant Professor, Department of Secondary Education*
*McWhinnie Hall 210*
*University of Wyoming*
*1000 E. University Ave.*
*Dept. 3374*
*Laramie, WY 82071*
*Office: 1-307-766-3250 <1-307-766-3250>*
*http://www.uwyo.edu/seced/faculty-staff/mark-helmsing.html
<http://www.uwyo.edu/seced/faculty-staff/mark-helmsing.html>*