[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's imagination

Bakker, A. (Arthur) A.Bakker4@uu.nl
Tue Dec 8 13:48:27 PST 2015

Andy, Peter,

I  just read an interesting book by Kitchener (1986) on Piaget:

Kitchener, R. F. (1986). Piaget's theory of knowledge: Genetic epistemology & scientific reason. Yale University Press.

There is a passage on dialectical thinking in Piaget's work, and there is an Hegelian influence, but Kitchener claims that Piaget never read Hegel.
I brought the book back to the library, so I cannot check the page numbers (cannot find it in google books).
However in the Cambridge Companion to Piaget, Hegel is mentioned a few times (e.g. p. 163 ff by Campbell) so

Best,

Arthur

Dr Arthur Bakker | Freudenthal Institute | Faculty of Science and Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences| Utrecht University | Princetonplein 5, kamer 465 |PO Box  85170, 3508 AD Utrecht | tel. 030 253 5641 | a.bakker4@uu.nl | sampling (ESM 2015), inquiry (ZDM 2015). scaffolding (ZDM 2015)

From: xmca-l-bounces+a.bakker4=uu.nl@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces+a.bakker4=uu.nl@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] [pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:36 PM
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's imagination

Andy,

No, it's merely an hypothesis--although I must admit I never bothered to
check whether Piaget ever made any direct references to Hegel. The basis
for my hypothesis are several of Piaget's earliest essays in The Essential
Piaget (Howard Gruber & Jacques Vonèche, Eds.), which are all about *The
Idea*. Those essays are what led me (years ago) to infer that he was
fascinated with Hegel. Piaget's later writings, which weave dialectical
logic into his theory of development, only added further weight to that
hypothesis.

Apparently, I'm not the only one to see an affinity between Piaget and
Hegel: Piaget's dialectical approach to development has been examined
by several philosophers, such as James Lawler and Marx Wartofsky. The
general critique of Piaget's application of dialectical logic by these
authors is that it doesn't stick closely enough to Hegel's formulation,
leading Piaget into inconsistencies.

Peter