[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's imagination

Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu
Tue Dec 8 08:23:34 PST 2015

Larry,

My feeble mind is having difficulty wrapping itself around the intricate
ideas you've expressed here. Please forgive me for focusing on just one of
these issues in an effort to achieve some clarity.

What I find particularly stimulating in this discussion about imagination
is the relation between the movement of thought and the movement of speech.
LSV describes this as the relation between the *psychological subject and
predicate* and the *linguistic subject and predicate*. As I understand it,
the movement from subject to predicate that is shared by both thought and
conversation is the movement from *topic* to *comment*. Although this
movement presumably exists at every stage in the development of verbal
thinking (word; phrase; sentence; narrative), my own research concentrates
on the transition from thinking in sentences to thinking in narratives. One
of the more interesting empirical findings I'm trying to understand and
explain is the transition (in children's *private speech* conversations)
from *fantasy* narratives to *problem-solving* narratives. That's why I was
particularly struck by the following passage from Hegel:

*Ordinary social conversation mostly rambles on from one idea to another in
a very external and contingent manner. It is only when the conversation has
a definite aim that it acquires a firmer coherence.*

Insofar as everyday conversation requires speakers to take their listeners'
perspective(s) into account (and listeners to takes the speaker's
perspective into account), the role of imagination is crucial. It is
critical to perspective-taking. What part the movement from topic to
comment plays in the process of imagining another person's perspective is
complicated and intriguing. But one that I believe can be examined
empirically.

Peter